Day 18: The Mindful Dialogue
Attention is the rarest and purest form of generosity
~ Simone Weil
Here’s a guide to the Mindful Dialogue:
- Find a good time when no one is rushing.
- Ask your friend or partner if you can have a mindful dialogue.
- Decide who is talking and who is listening.
- Set a timer for 5 minutes and the listener opens with a question: “What would you like to dialogue about?”
- The speaker has 5 minutes to talk freely about anything they like.
- The listener’s role is to be completely mindful, without talking or responding with thoughts or advice, to what is being said.
- The listener then takes 3mins to reflect back what was heard, without overlaying opinion or advice.
- The speaker then takes a mintue to reflect back what it felt like to be listened to.
- Swap roles and practise again.
- If you are unsure what to talk about, the listener can make up whatever question they like.
Some suggested questions to experiment with:
What do you find intensely interesting?
What makes you feel most alive?
What is something you appreciate most in your life?
What gives your life most meaning?
new to MINDFULNESS?
FREE MEDITATION: 21 MINS TO RELAXATION
Curious about mediation? Join Dr. Elise Bialylew for a guided mindful meditation.