Day 18: The Mindful Dialogue
Attention is the rarest and purest form of generosity
~ Simone Weil
Here’s a guide to the Mindful Dialogue:
- Find a good time when no one is rushing.
- Ask your friend or partner if you can have a mindful dialogue.
- Decide who is talking and who is listening.
- Set a timer for 5 minutes and the listener opens with a question: “What would you like to dialogue about?”
- The speaker has 5 minutes to talk freely about anything they like.
- The listener’s role is to be completely mindful, without talking or responding with thoughts or advice, to what is being said.
- The listener then takes 3mins to reflect back what was heard, without overlaying opinion or advice.
- The speaker then takes a mintue to reflect back what it felt like to be listened to.
- Swap roles and practise again.
- If you are unsure what to talk about, the listener can make up whatever question they like.
Some suggested questions to experiment with:
What do you find intensely interesting?
What makes you feel most alive?
What is something you appreciate most in your life?
What gives your life most meaning?
"If we wish to be healthy, happy and clear-minded, we need to upgrade our “inner technology”of attention to meet the demands of our increasingly complex world. That's where mindfulness comes in.."
- DR ELISE BIALYLEW
about the HOST AND FOUNDER OF
MINDFUL IN MAY:
DR ELISE BIALYLEW
Elise Bialylew is the author of the bestselling book, The Happiness Plan, and founder of Mindful in May, the world’s largest online global mindfulness fundraising campaign.
A doctor trained in psychiatry, turned social entrepreneur and mindfulness expert, she’s passionate about supporting individuals and organisations to develop inner tools for greater wellbeing and flourishing, and offers workshops and training at The Mind Life Project.
Her work has been featured in the Huffington Post, New York Times and on Australian Television. She was recently recognised by the Australian Financial Review as a 2019 AFR Women of Influence.
Keep in touch with us
Sign up to access additional resources, mindfulness tips and to find out about upcoming events.
When you submit your email you are opting-in for our emails and relevant upcoming updates from Elise. You can unsubscribe any time.