Grain-Free, Gluten-Free, Sugar-Free Carrot Cake
If you’re one of those people who think adding carrots to a cake automatically makes it healthy, this sweetener-free, grain-free, gluten-free, sugar-free carrot cake recipe is for you!
prep time: 15 min
Cook time: 35 min
Stuff you need
For the sugar-free carrot cake
1 cup almond meal
3/4 cup walnuts, chopped
3/4 cup butter melted
1/4 cup coconut milk
2 carrots peeled and grated
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. nutmeg
Pinch of salt
For the frosting
1 1/2 cups unsweetened shredded coconut
1/2 cup butter cubed
1 lemon juice and rind
1 tsp. 100% vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 160°C (320°F) and line 2 x 10 cm (4 inch) spring form cake tins. Or you can use 1 larger cake tin.
- In a large bowl combine the almond meal, walnuts, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt.
- Add the eggs, melted butter, coconut milk, carrots and stir really well.
- Fill the cake tins with the cake batter and place in the oven for 35 minutes.
- Allow to sit for 10 minutes before turning out and allowing to cool completely on a wire rack.
- Whiz the coconut in a food processor or blender until super fine.
- Add the butter cubes and continue to whiz until smooth.
- Add the lemon juice, rind, and vanilla, and continue to whiz.
- Once the cakes have cooled, spread frosting on top of both cakes evenly, then carefully place one cake on top of the other.
- Sprinkle with a few extra walnuts!
If your taste buds like it a little sweet, add 1-3 tbs. of 100% maple syrup or honey to the cake batter and/or frosting.